How to wash your wig?
Encelia Hair offers three alternative hair types 1) Remy human hair 2) Luxury synthetic 3) Traditional synthetic. All three hair types can be washed the same way with some minor nuances which are highlighted below.
- Weekly Wash - as a general rule, the less you wash your alternative hair, the longer it will last. In general, if you wear your wig every day, you should only need to wash and style it once a week. Pretty nice, right!
- How To Know When To Wash Your Alternative Hair - alternative hair lacks moisture so the hair will start to feel dry, especially on the ends. It will tangle more than it normally does. When the hair starts to feel like this it is time to wash it. It's also important to note that if the wig starts looking flat or heavy, the hair might be oily and it needs to be washed.
- Use Oil To Extend Your Wash Day - argan oil is my favorite because it has a nice subtle scent and it is lightweight so it won't weigh the hair down. Apply 1-2 drops to the ends of your hair.
- Sweat & Salt - just like normal hair, salt can dry your hair out, so you may need to wash the hair sooner than expected if you have been super active or near salty water/air. When this happens, sometimes I just do a quick conditioner wash, which means that you wet the ends and apply conditioner. Let the conditioner sit for 15 minutes, rinse, and then let the hair air dry.
WEEKLY WASH TUTORIAL
- Items you need: a petite mannequin head, a wig brush, and a teasing brush.
- Brush your wig or hairpiece.
- Plug your sink and fill it up with lukewarm water. Add 2-3 dollops of shampoo, and swish the product around so it's nice and soapy.
- Flip your wig inside out so the inside of the cap is facing outward.
- Hold the top of your wig, submerge it in the water, and gently wash the hair. Avoid rubbing because it can cause the hair to tangle. Rinse the wig in lukewarm water.
- Hold the top of the wig with one hand. Starting halfway up the wig, apply the conditioner or hydrating mask to the hair. Let the conditioner set for 15-20 minutes (if the hair is really dry, allow the conditioner or mask to sit in the hair overnight). Rinse with cold water.Keep the conditioner away from the base or the cap of the wig, as it can cause the knots to swell and loosen.
- Once you are done, wrap your hair gently in a towel, massaging the hair in a downward motion.
- Place the hairpiece on a rubber petite mannequin head, and allow it to air-dry for about 45-60 mins.
- Using your wig brush, gently brush the hair.
- Using a teasing brush, set your part and redirect the knots so the hair air-dyes in the direction that you want the hair to fall. Let the hair air-dry overnight.
- In the morning, apply the argan oil to the ends and style your wig how you want (curls, flat iron). If you apply any heat tools to the hair, please use heat protector spray as it will lock the moisture in and prevent the hair from overheating which can damage the hair.